Work permit

Applying for a work permit

Citizen of an EU country

As an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a permit. You also have the right to come to Sweden to look for a job. Only a Passport or National ID is required.

Citizen of a Nordic Country

Citizens of a Nordic country have the right to freely live and work in Sweden without registering with the Migration Agency. However, you should register with the Swedish Tax Agency to gain a Swedish personal identity number, after which you’ll be registered in the Swedish Population Register. You will need the following documents: 

  1. A passport or national ID card (not a driver’s license)
  2. Civil status, i.e. a marriage certificate (not required if unmarried)
  3. Birth certificate of your children, if relevant

Remember to bring the original documents. 

Swedish Tax Agency link (in English)

Citizen of Switzerland

Swiss citizens need a residence permit to work in Sweden for longer than three months, so this will apply to Bible School students looking to get a job. You apply for your residence permit after entering Sweden and can start working as soon as you enter the country, without having to wait for your application to be processed. When entering Sweden, you must have a valid passport. 

How to apply for a residence permit:

  1. Fill in the residence permit Application
  2. Enclose copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport’s validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin.
  3. If you are an employee, you must also enclose a certificate of employment from your employer.

You can find the application documents and process on this website for more in-depth information:

Residence Permit for Swiss Citizens (in English)

Citizen of a non-EU country

Generally, citizens from countries outside the EU must apply for a work permit to work in Sweden.

For employment that lasts less than three months, citizens of certain countries must have both a work permit and a visa.

To qualify for a work permit, you must have received an official offer of employment from a Swedish employer. The job must also:

  • have been advertised in the EU/EEA for at least ten days
  • offer terms of employment that match those set by Swedish collective agreements or those that are customary within the occupation or industry
  • pay a minimum monthly salary of SEK 13,000 before taxes.

You must also hold a valid passport in your home country.

Generally, it is best to apply before coming to Sweden, but as you will be living in Sweden legally during your school year, it is also possible to apply from within Sweden. Here is what the application process will look like: 

  • Receive an offer of employment – which must have been approved by a relevant trade union.
  • Compile and submit your application – either online or through a paper application submitted to your closest Swedish embassy or consulate. Your completed application must include:
    – a completed application form
    – copies of the pages of your passport that show personal data, period of validity and whether you have permission to live in countries other than your country of origin (e.g. other visas or residence permits)
    – your offer of employment and the statement from the trade union
    – an application fee.
  • The Migration Agency considers your application and informs you of its decision,.
  • Submit data for visa and residence permit card.

For specific information and forms, go to